St. Anthony Chapel
In the west of Convento square there is a Baroque country house, with its chapel, the so-called St. Anthony Obra Pía. It was founded in the 1671 by the archbishop born in Melide, Mateo Segade Bugueiro. It is also going to be known as the Colegiata, because, in its origins, it followed teaching purposes. From the year 1960, it is the town hall.
The design of the Baroque façade of the chapel is attributted to Domingo de Andrade, the most prestigious Galician architect in that time.
The two Baroque and stony worshipper statues were sculpted in granite in 1674 by Mateo de Prado, one of the most important sculptors of that time.
The other remarkable monument placed in the surroundings of the square is the Terra de Melide Museum. It was designed by the arquitect from Melide Xulio Álvarez and it is built over an ancient hospital of pilgrims in the 15th century. It is preserved the façade from 1502.
The two praying, and stony Baroque statues were carved in granite in 1674 by Mateo de Prado, one of the most important sculptors of the time. The one on the right represents a gentleman, D. Anton Varela Segade, the first pattern of the"Obra Pía" of St. Anton, with typical clothes of the time. The left is a cenotaph with a prayerful kneeling figure, with ecclesiastical attire, reminiscent of the figure of Mateo Segade Bugueiro.